On July 1, 2014, Salisbury Music & Instrument Repair closed it’s retail location at 925 Eastern Shore Drive. There were many reasons, but the primary reason was that I wasn’t generating enough revenue to keep a “retail” location open.
I am still in business and doing about 80% of what I did before.
I moved my repair shop into the garage of my house, and am still doing band and orchestra instrument repairs.
HOW TO GET REPAIRS TO ME?
Drop Off Option 1
The Guitar Man Music Store
1013 S. Salisbury Blvd.
Salisbury, MD 21804
(Next to Burger King just north of Salisbury Music)
(I’m stopping by every couple of days)
Drop Off Option 2
22876 Sussex Highway(Rt. 13)
Mon-Thu: 10a – 6p
Fri: 10 – 8p
Sat: 10a – 5p
(I stop by every Tuesday during the school year, as needed during the summer)
School Option 3
If your child goes to school in Wicomico, Worcester, Somerset, Dorchester, or Talbot County, I visit most of the schools once a week during the school year. Call me at 410-543-1200 and we can discuss the details.
Yes, I’m still doing band and instrument rentals. Clicking the On-Line Rental Button on my home page is the easiest way. Call me at 410-543-1200 for some other options.
Yes, I’m still tuning, repairing, moving and renting pianos.
This trumpet befuddled the band director(and her trumpet playing band director husband) as to why it wasn’t playing well, and how they could feel air escaping. It took me a while, but I finally found the split in the leadpipe. In normal light it was very hard to see the split. Here’s how I fixed it:
Left Pic – Split in leadpipe…about 3 inches long
Right Pic – Sheet brass patch after cutting to preliminary shape
Left Pic – Patch cut to final shape
Right Pic – Lacquer removed and patch bent to contour of leadpipe
Left Pic – Other view of patch contoured to fit
Right Pic – Wire tied on leadpipe, prior to soldering
Left Pic – Soldered, but not cleaned up
Right Pic – Buffed and ready to go
The KING of Tenor Saxes was brought in for a total repad. The customer decided on Black Roo (Kangaroo Hide) pads with Gold Reso-Tone Resonators.
Left Pic – Ready for disassembly
Right Pic – Notice the duct tape on the Low Eb….UGH!
Left Pic – All disassembled
Right Pic – Keys ready for cleaning
Left Pic – Black Roo pads with Gold Reso-Tones
Right Pic – Pad Fitting almost complete
Left Pic – Assembly begins
Right Pic – Lower stack ready
Left Pic – Bells Keys on
Right Pic – Upper stack ready
Tenor sax came in and the palm D key rod had sheared off. This doesn’t happen often but does occasionally. Rods with a small throat(area between the threads and main part of rod) are very susceptible to this type of problem.
Left Pic – You can see the broken thread section extending out of the post. I’ve partially removed the threaded section here.
Right Pic – The key with the broken rod, now with the threaded section totally out
Left Pic – Time to find a donor rod…looking for something with the same threads and about the same size or slightly bigger in diameter. Length I’m not too concerned about length, since I can always cut off the extra.
Right Pic – Found one….just slightly bigger in diameter….will have to drill out key and post, but the threads already fit.
Left Pic – Drilled out and fits perfect.
Right Pic – Rod is too long, but that’s easily solved.
Left pic – Problem solved, now to cut the slot
Right Pic – This is my slot cutter. The metal sleeve has various holes for different size rods. The blade cuts the slot.
All done and ready to go.
Left Photo – Hard to see, but there is a crack running from the metal tube inside the bore to the tenon cap
Right Photo – Used a super thin super glue with a small bottle and teflon flexible tip
Left Photo – You can see the glue in and around the crack
Right Photo – My high tech holding system
All back together
Rented our Baldwin Grand for an event at Del Tech for the Freeman Stage.
3-Piece Giardinelli Trumpet Mouthpiece where the shank was seized to the bowl section. Whacked it with a rawhide; wrapped it in silicone tape and tried to free it with a 2 pairs of pliers; froze it, then heated the bowl…nada….finally whacked it a few more times with the rawhide, grabbed it wearing 2 heavy rubber gloves, and it popped free. Cleaned the threads and reassembled.