Yamaha Euphonium Dent/Brace

yamaha_euph1yamaha_euph2

Left Pic – Damage to the upper branch on a Yamaha Euphonium. The brace dented the tubing when the damage occurred. There’s no easy access to this area, without unsoldering major parts of the horn, and the brace can’t be re-soldered with the dent in there.

Right Pic – I’ve soldered a sax strap ring into the dented area

 

yamaha_euph3yamaha_euph6

Left Pic – Using my slide puller(a soft rope with a weight), I’ve looped the rope through the strap ring. Using the weight, I can now “snatch” the dent back up into roughly it’s original position.

Right Pic – The dent is now “mostly” out. I don’t have to have it our totally, just enough so the brace will reach.

 

yamaha_euph4yamaha_euph5

Left Pic – I’ve removed the strap ring, and now am soldering the brace back into position. By removing most of the dent, I’m able to solder the brace without any strain(pulling the pieces together). Soldering something back “strained” almost always leads to the solder joint failing down the road.

Right Pic – All done

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s