Split in Trumpet Leadpipe

This trumpet befuddled the band director(and her trumpet playing band director husband) as to why it wasn’t playing well, and how they could feel air escaping. It took me a while, but I finally found the split in the leadpipe. In normal light it was very hard to see the split. Here’s how I fixed it:

split1 split2

Left Pic – Split in leadpipe…about 3 inches long
Right Pic – Sheet brass patch after cutting to preliminary shape

 

split3split4

Left Pic – Patch cut to final shape
Right Pic – Lacquer removed and patch bent to contour of leadpipe

 

split5split6

Left Pic – Other view of patch contoured to fit
Right Pic – Wire tied on leadpipe, prior to soldering

 

split7split8

Left Pic – Soldered, but not cleaned up
Right Pic – Buffed and ready to go

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s